DAccording to media reports, classified documents that former US President Donald Trump took with him after the end of his presidential term are to be evaluated by US intelligence agencies. This was reported on Saturday by Politico magazine, citing a letter from secret service coordinator Avril Haynes to high-ranking officials. It is intended to find out if the storage at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago mansion in Florida posed any national security risks.
According to the magazine, Haynes wrote, “The Department of Justice and the Office of the U.S. Intelligence Coordinator are working closely to facilitate the classification review of relevant material, including searched material.” According to the report, intelligence agencies can also investigate whether unauthorized persons had access to documents. It could be criminal. Haynes is the intelligence coordinator in the government of Trump’s successor Joe Biden.
Trump called in a ‘special chief’ to oversee the investigation
Trump filed an additional motion with the court late Friday night. In it he asks the court to refrain from investigating the documents seized at Mar-a-Lago unless a third person, a so-called “special master” can be appointed. It consists in independent control over the verification of documents. Trump made a similar request on Monday, but the district judge asked for more information.
Trump’s lawyers have now said his proposal must be approved because the claim that Trump’s Florida home was ransacked on Aug. 8 has been overcorrected. It contains “almost no information that would allow (Trump) to understand why the raid occurred or what was stolen from his home.” Some lines that have not been edited raise more questions than answers.
Trump complains about amendments to the document
Earlier, Trump asked the judge who authorized the search of his Florida home to resign. “Judge Bruce Reinhart should not have been allowed to demolish my house,” Trump wrote on social media. Trump did not specify the reason for the resignation of the judge. So far, his lawyers have not made such requests.
Trump also complained that the document on which the search warrant for Trump’s house was based was heavily altered and released on Friday at the direction of Judge Reinhart. The U.S. Department of Justice initially opposed the release of the document, but was forced to comply with Judge Reinhart’s direction to release a revised version. The reforms are aimed at protecting witnesses and ongoing investigations.
The 32-page document includes sworn testimony from an unnamed FBI official who said the agency reviewed and identified 184 classified documents containing “national defense information” after 15 cases were seized in January, according to the government. . Returned with documents. They have been requested from the US National Archives. Among the other papers in the boxes were handwritten notes by Trump, according to the affidavit.
The sworn letter also stated that the FBI, after examining this material, had reason to believe that Mar-a-Lago contained other documents. The document also showed that “a significant number of civilian witnesses” with knowledge of Trump’s actions since leaving office supported the investigation.
The US Department of Justice announced on Friday that it is investigating former President Donald Trump over the seizure of documents from the White House. The department believes that Trump was illegally in possession of documents, some of which relate to intelligence gathering and “secret sources of information.” Such information is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the United States.
During a search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, FBI officers seized 11 containers of classified records, some of which were classified as “top secret.”