What are the best VPNs for traveling?
VPN (virtual private network) provides privacy and anonymity on the Internet by creating a secure private network from a public Internet connection. This is an extremely useful tool for travelers to have in their arsenal. In addition to securely connecting to public Wi-Fi, travelers can get better rates, access their favorite websites, and enjoy the content they are used to. However, not all VPNs offer these benefits while traveling, so it’s important to know how to choose the one that’s right for you.
Get the best prices with a VPN
Booking a flight, hotel or vacation can get very expensive very quickly. Luckily, there’s an easy, hassle-free money-saving solution: using a VPN.
Most travel companies use dynamic pricing – people from different countries have to pay different prices for the same thing. Hiding your IP address and location and changing it to a new one in a different country can help you save a significant amount of money. Just remember to clear your cookies before you go looking!
Secure connection wherever you are
Travelers love less things than free Wi-Fi. Roaming is expensive and local data rates are not always available. Therefore, we turn to cafes, restaurants, hotels, airports and shopping centers for free open Wi-Fi. However, these networks are often not secure and hackers have been known to spoof the popular Wi-Fi hotspot to trick people into connecting to it. This may result in the loss of your credit card information, login credentials, and other personal information. This lost data can be used to impersonate you in a phishing attack targeting your friends and family. In some cases, it may even infect your device with malware.
The best solution to this problem? Use a VPN. It encrypts the data you send and receive by redirecting it through a secure tunnel, making it extremely difficult to intercept and read.
How to Avoid Censorship
Some popular tourist destinations unfortunately also suffer from censorship and online restrictions. While there, travelers may not have access to Google products, popular social media platforms, or messaging services. This is especially inconvenient if you need to find a restaurant, post a view from a hotel balcony on Instagram, or send a message to friends or colleagues.
With a VPN, you first connect to a VPN server in another country before your traffic goes to the right website or service. In this way, you bypass censorship and your online activity remains hidden from prying eyes.
Some countries even ban the use of VPNs so they can monitor their internet users. In this case, it is important to assess the risks and make sure you choose a reliable VPN provider that offers obfuscated servers. Keep in mind that you will need to get an app and a subscription before you can travel!
Access to your content
Is the season finale of your favorite show coming out during your trip? You don’t want to miss this and risk accidentally seeing a spoiler online. Unfortunately, not all streaming services are available worldwide. To bypass these restrictions, connect to your home VPN server and enjoy your favorite content as if you never left.
VPN for travel: what to look for
Not all VPNs are the same. Here are some features to look out for when choosing a provider:
- Wide network of servers. More servers means a faster connection. They are likely to be less crowded which means minimal downtime. More importantly, you are likely to find it in a neighboring country wherever you travel.
- specialized servers. If you like to travel to not very touristy places and will most likely find yourself in a country with a totalitarian regime, obfuscated and dual VPN servers are a must for a secure Internet connection.
- Malware protection. Tourists are considered easy targets for pickpockets and cybercriminals alike. Make sure you have a VPN that provides additional protection against malware and other online threats.
- Danger button. This is an essential feature if you really want to keep your data safe. It will stop your access to the Internet if the VPN connection drops.
- Modern VPN protocols. OpenVPN is the industry standard, but if you’re looking for speed and security in the modern age, choose a provider that also offers WireGuard.
Which VPN to choose?
There are many VPNs on the market, so choosing one can be tricky. So, could you choose an industry leader like NordVPN?
- A wide range of specialized servers to suit your needs: obfuscated, dual VPN, P2P and Onion Over VPN.
- The fastest VPN on the market – no lag, no buffering while streaming, and strong encryption for your security.
- Multiple VPN protocols to choose from: OpenVPN, NordLynx (based on WireGuard) and IKEv2/IPsec.
- You can connect up to 6 devices to one account – take care of your friends or family while traveling.
- With over 5,500 servers in 60 countries, NordVPN always has one nearby. Users can connect to the nearest and fastest of them with a single tap – and it only takes a second.
- 24/7 customer support if you get stuck and need help. Regardless of the time zone, NordVPN support can help you.
- The NordVPN Blog and Help Center provides detailed explanations and tutorials so you can get the most out of your VPN account and know how to stay safe online.
- The Threat Protection feature provides an additional layer of online security. It scans all downloaded files for malware and removes them immediately if they are found to be infected. Threat Protection also blocks trackers, malicious websites, and intrusive ads to make your browsing experience safer and smoother.
Buy a VPN right now.